Pontypool was great. In an ocean of zombie movies, it takes a lot to make something that even mildly stands out. Coming into the viewing experience with a severe distaste for talk radio probably makes it more pleasing, though.

Another recent horror film with great atmosphere was AM1200. It's a simple Lovecraftian monster story, but the mood and direction is pretty neat.

I re-watched Martyrs recently and found it much better the second time. The first time through I was hung up on trying to figure out what the hell this was all about, and then mildly peeved when they finally decided to spill the beans only in the last five minutes. Knowing the ending, it's easier to appreciate the structure of the narrative and how it shifts from one horror/sci-fi subgenre to the next.

I finally saw Beasts of the Southern Wild a week or so back. It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, and the main thing holding it down turned out to be the utterly pointless titular Beasts. They were just a figment of the little girl's imagination anyway, so it really wasn't necessary to show them.

The most enjoyable film I've seen in the last couple of months was a cheapie Italian take on the Fist of the North Star splatter animé, called Adam Chaplin. There hasn't been a movie so audacious and outrageous since Evil Dead II.

Next up on my viewing schedule is the North Korean take on the rubber suit monster genre, Pulgasari. It got a mention on Jon Stewart's program last week, and it actually looks pretty interesting.