Dr. Manhattan #4...

So this crap is finally over with. After Osterman is done shepherding all the multiverses back into one convergent timeline, he still feels like there is something "wrong." He feels his only option is to surrender his powers to the judgment of the world's smartest man, Adrian Veidt. While Straczynski predictably fills many panels quoting lines from Moore's original script, he completely ignores one of the most memorable ones: "This world's smartest man means no more to me than does its smartest termite." We are to believe that it was Osterman who sought Veidt's mercy in order to figure out what the "static obscuring the future" (Watchmen #9, page 17, panel 3) might be and how to see past it, rather than simply Veidt seeking Osterman's cooperation to harness Osterman's powers into useful and lucrative technologies. So Veidt constructed (or at least had plans to construct) this veil over the future prior to having access to Osterman's power? Bitch, please.

As a strange side note, Ozymandias apparently cracked jokes like Spider-Man whilst fighting crime, albeit with a more professorial tone. Doc shows up during a thwarted museum heist with no panties on, and Ozy doesn't bat an eyelash. Weird.

In a lame attempt to try and muck with the panel arrangement (as Alan Moore so often does to brilliant effect), they flip seven pages upside-down during the time where Osterman has surrendered all judgment to Veidt. None of this section would make any sense whatsover to anyone who hasn't read the original I thought the point of Before Watchmen was supposed to be expanding the audience? Oddly, things are only set aright at the point Veidt asks, "I did the right thing, didn't I?" Seriously? Something changed in Osterman's consciousness at *that* point?

The anti-climax of an ending is Doc landing on another planet and creating some life. Like that was actually necessary for us to see.

Decent enough artwork by Hughes and Martin. Lots of repeated panels. Probably more backgrounds in this issue than previous issues. An extremely fleshy schlong shot that not only wasn't necessary, it was anachronistic. Even after Ozymandias retired in 1975, and at least until 1977, Doc was still wearing shorts in public (Watchmen #4, pages 21 and 23). I guess Hughes just wanted to draw a schlong.

Alt cover by Boleslav Sienkiewicz. If it took him more than thirty minutes, I'd like an explanation.