Marvel Announces More 80th Anniversary Party Plans
by James Ferguson
Marvel Comics is celebrating its 80th anniversary this year and has already rolled out a bunch of fun stuff with more on the way including variant covers, special promotions, and more. The publisher has just announced plans that will take us through the second half of the year with some limited-time content with Marvel games, merchandise, and retailer events. Check out the list below:
- D23 Expo (August 23-25) – Taking place at the Anaheim Convention Center, attendees can shop, snap Marvel-themed photos with friends, and discover hidden surprises around every corner in the Marvel section of the “Uptown Disney” booth on the show floor. Don’t miss Marvel’s exciting lineup of film, television, animation, and comic book guest appearances, panels, stage events, and more!
- Marvel Comics #1000 Releases (August 28) – Soon to be available at your local comic shop, don’t miss the historic debut of this massive, oversized special-edition book featuring luminaries from both classic and current comic books (and beyond!), revealing a long-kept secret of the Marvel Universe and some startling discoveries along the way.
- Marvel Birthday Celebration at Dragon Con (August 31) – Dragon Con and Marvel will be celebrating Marvel’s 80th anniversary this year on August 31, Marvel’s official birthday! Attendees can join the party during the annual Dragon Con Parade, on Dragon Con’s social media channels, and a cosplay meet-up complete with birthday cake provided by DecoPac and Kroger, candles, and photo opportunities!
- Commemorative Merchandise (August – December) – Fans will be able to get their hands on limited-time Marvel 80th anniversary apparel, accessories, collectibles, books and more from Hasbro, Funko, LootCrate, Diamond Select, Mattel, DecoPac, Mad Engine, Bioworld, C-Life, Citizen, Disney store, shopDisney and many more!
- Retail Activations for Marvel’s Birthday (August – December) – Visit retailers around the country including Amazon, Walmart, Target, Party City, Box Lunch, Hot Topic, Uniqlo, GameStop, FYE and more for in-store activations, new merchandise, special offers, and celebratory fanfare. On August 31, be sure to stop by your local participating FYE for an in-store Marvel birthday party celebration; Amazon for special items celebrating Marvel’s anniversary; participating comic shops for exclusive Marvel birthday party events and a free Marvel Universe Magazine (while supplies last); and Disney stores for in-store activities throughout the day. Disney stores will also launch a new product line this fall in stores and online at shopDisney.com.
- Marvel: Universe of Super Heroes! (ongoing) – Take a tour of the Marvel: Universe of Super Heroes! The exhibition, currently extending its run through September 11 at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, PA, showcases more than 300 artifacts from Marvel’s past and present. The exhibition will reopen on October 19 at the Telus World of Science Edmonton in Canada.
- Global Experiences (ongoing) – Look for Marvel 80th anniversary merchandise at pop-up shops throughout China, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia. Also, keep an eye out for special events at Disney Parks & Resorts, Marvel’s Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N. locations and exciting displays and exhibits in Australia, Mexico and Brazil. And don’t miss the exhilarating Marvel Universe Live! show with Feld Entertainment, now touring internationally!
That’s not all! Marvel will also be collaborating with its partners to bring limited-time in-game activations to celebrate key characters, stories, costumes, and more from Marvel history in Marvel Strike Force, Marvel Future Fight, Marvel Puzzle Quest, and Marvel Contest of Champions.
For more information about the year-long celebration, check out #Marvel80 or Marvel.com/marvel80.