It’s Saturday afternoon. You’ve done all your chores, maybe even some shopping, and maybe now you can sit down for a while and catch-up.
Well, we’ve here for you with our very own summary of some of the news and reviews you may have missed during the week in this new regular Saturday afternoon round-up in our new-look Something For The Weekend column. We hope you enjoy it as we give you some of our biggest and most popular news items, reviews and more, all here in one handy place.
Launching this Saturday and running each and every Saturday afternoon.
Enjoy the weekend and do think about popping by again any time.
- In a week that saw Emerald City Comic Con see cancellation after cancellation before they too took the decision to cancel – or at least postpone – this year’s emerald City Comic Con, it’s no surprise that anything we reported on to do with the con was hot news, with our very own website helping break the story last weekend. Check out all our coverage over the past week here.
- Our exclusive preview of Elfquest: Stargazer’s Hunt #3 by Wendy and Richard Pini, illustrated by Sonny Strait, and lettered by Nate Piekos went down well with readers, showing that there’s still a lot of love for this long-running fantasy series. If you missed out, check it out here.
- As well as ReedPOP cancelling ECCC, it also cancelled the London Book Fair that was due to run on the same weekend as ECCC. Read all about this cancellation here. But what of other cons due across the next few months? We’ll keep you up to date on what is going to be a very fraught few months thanks to the coronavirus.
- Green Lantern Season 2 #2 was a popular preview amongst readers, and shows the strength of the title and the talents involved with this series, destined to be a classic run on the character. Here’s the preview of next week’s issue, in case you missed it.
- Vault Comics announcement of a new environmentally aware series, No One’s Rose #1 was another popular preview. It seems Vault Comics can do no wrong and go rom strength to strength with each new book.
- On the review front, it looks like many readers out there were jonesing for the OuterDarkness/CHEW cross-over book, which culminated in the first issue selling out. Here’s hoping these readers may go look out for Outer Darkness and find out for themselves what they’ve been missing.
- Another debut book out last week was Mark Russell and Steve Pugh’s Billionaire Island, which we reviewed along with getting to interview the creators too.
- Meanwhile, Tito W James attended PAX East 2020 last weekend, with plenty of coverage from this event. Check out his coverage here.
- We also had a first look at an intriguing, realistic new comic book from Scout Comics, Yasmeen. Written by Saif A. Ahmed, illustrated by Fabiana Mascolo, and lettered by Robin Jones, Yasmeen centers on the title character before and after she’s captured and sold into slavery by ISIS. Check out our first look here. It’s good to see that comics are still a haven for such personal, passionate and often tragic tales of real life. Long may this be the case.
- Finally, then, on the TV front, it looks like you’re all getting stoked about the forthcoming DC Universe series Stargirl debuting this May on the CW and on DC Universe. Us too.
That’s your top ten which should keep you busy for some time. Now, go grab that coffee – or something stronger – and keep reading!