The xenomorphs will have to wait until a little bit longer.
During a Television Critics Association presentation on Thursday, FX chairman John Landgraf updated the press on the first television series based on Ridley Scott‘s Alien. Developed by Noah Hawley, the series is in preproduction, but will not begin shooting until 2023.
Key details about the program — including its cast — are still unknown. As previously reported, the program will occur on Earth, with Landgraf adding today that it takes place in the late 21st Century or “seventy-odd years from now.” Hawley previously told Vanity Fair last year that he thought “it would be interesting to open it up a little bit so that the stakes of ‘What happens if you can’t contain it?’ are more immediate.” That said, 20th Century Fox teased such an event in both Alien3 and Alien Resurrection. The xenomorph also made it planetside in the two Alien vs. Predator films, but the less said about those movies, the better. Both Hawley and Landgraf have also made it clear Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) will not be part of the program.
Despite the lack of the series star, Landgraf expects fans will be thrilled by the show. “[Noah] has a way of being faithful … but then also bringing something new to the table that represents an extension and reinvention.”
When the program materializes, it will be the first Alien project under Disney’s stewardship of the intellectual property. Although, as Landgraf mentioned during his executive session, FX has a certain amount of freedom to create mature content and, therefore, we expect the program will contain the best parts of Alien (and its sequels) to create something scary and through provoking.
But based on Landgraf’s update, we don’t expect to see the program until 2024.