X-Men Vote Returns For The Third Annual Vote
by Tony Thornley
For the third year, X-Men fans will be able to select the latest member of the new team, making its debut this summer at the Hellfire Gala.
X-Men has been a unique volume of Marvel’s flagship mutant book as Gerry Duggan, Pepe Larraz, Josh Cassara, and CF Villa have chronicled the first democratically elected superhero team, including one spot voted on by the fans. The first year featured Polaris and currently Firestar is finding her place among mutantkind. Now six new candidates are featured, and they’re a fixture of X-Men legends and cult favorites.
Four of the six are longtime stalwarts while the other two have been waiting a long time to get their time in the spotlight. Check out Marvel’s press release below and be sure to vote before polls close on February 3rd!
New York, NY— January 31, 2023 — For the third consecutive year, Marvel is putting the fate of the X-Men in the hands of fans! The 2023 X-Men election will run from Tuesday, January 31 at 9:00amEST until 11:59pmEST on Friday, February 3. Participants can vote now at marvel.com/xmenvote.
For three years, the X-Men election has given True Believers everywhere the opportunity to determine the newest protector of Krakoa. In 2021, Polaris won the first-ever election and was featured in Gerry Duggan and Pepe Larraz’s X-MEN. And in 2022, fan-favorite Firestar was chosen to become the newest member of the X-Men, where she then took on a starring role in Duggan’s second year of X-MEN, with artists C.F. Villa and Joshua Cassara.
Once again, several nominations have been accepted to determine the final member of the new X-team. Only one vote is allowed per person, so read about the nominees below and choose wisely!
2023 X-Men Ballot Nominations:
· CANNONBALL: One of the original “New Mutants,” the second class of students in the Xavier School, Sam Guthrie has come a long way. His ability to transform into a human cannonball, propelling himself with great force at high speeds while making himself “nigh invulnerable” has taken him from an awkward lanky teen to a married father who is both a former X-Man and Avenger! Why not rocket him to the front lines again?
· DAZZLER: Dazzler first made it to the scene as a pop star, using her secret mutant power to transform sound into light as part of her stage show. Becoming a hero and joining the X-Men never dimmed her star-power, even as she learned to use her ability to dazzle as an offensive weapon. Since then, she’s been a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, a freedom fighter, mother to a time paradox, and a vampire hunter. Isn’t it time for Alison Blaire to reclaim center stage?
· FRENZY: Superhuman strength, speed, stamina, agility, reflexes and durability have made Joanna Cargill a formidable opponent to any who crosses her. From her early days opposed to the X-Men as a member of Apocalypse’s Alliance of Evil, her time as one of Magneto’s Acolytes, and Mister Sinister’s Marauders, to her time on the side of good with the Jean Grey School, and eventually as an intergalactic ambassador with S.W.O.R.D., Frenzy has what it takes to tackle anything!
· JUBILEE: Having joined the X-Men as a teenaged runaway, Jubilation Lee had been shooting explosive fireworks out of her hands into the face of evil for many years when she lost her powers in M-Day. Even so, that didn’t stop her from fighting for what’s right—first as a New Warrior using a power suit, and later as a vampire, going against every monstrous urge that came with that transformation. Cured of that curse and with her mutant powers returned, Jubilee deserves to reclaim her spot on the X-team!
· JUGGERNAUT: The non-mutant stepbrother of Professor X, Cain Marko long ago claimed the gem of the ancient “god” Cyttorak, transforming him into the unstoppable brute known as Juggernaut. For many years he was a thorn in the X-Men’s side, frequently rampaging through their lives leaving wreckage behind. More recently, however, Cain has shaken off the evil influence of his dark master, claiming the power of Juggernaut under his own terms and making amends for his past deeds.
· PRODIGY: Prodigy possesses the power of psychomimetry—a form of telepathy that grants him the skills and knowledge of those in his proximity. This allows him equal mastery of any skill—mental or physical—as those around him. His ability to retain knowledge from those sources makes him an even more formidable mutant – one who is brilliant at biology, computers, martial arts, and strategic planning. David Alleyne may borrow from others, but he is one of a kind.
Marvel Insiders will be eligible to enter the Marvel Insider Drawn into X-Men Hellfire Gala 2023 Sweepstakes** from 2/3 (12:00pmEST) until 2/12 (11:59pmEST) for a chance to attend the Hellfire Gala itself by being drawn into a Marvel comic book! More information on how to enter will be provided in the coming days. Not a Marvel Insider? Sign up today!
X-Men election voting will be open from 9:00amEST, January 31, 2023, to 11:59pmEST, February 3, 2023. The results, along with the full new X-Men team, will be unveiled during the Hellfire Gala in Marvel comics this July.
The results will be completely determined by your votes, so make sure to share your vote and campaign for your favorite X-Men using #XMenVote and stay tuned to Marvel.com and Marvel’s social channels for regular updates on the Krakoan polls.