Dwayne McDuffie was a legendary writer and producer that paved the way for underrepresented voices in comics. To celebrate his work and legacy, an award was created to honor comic writers and artists who are striving to craft wider diversity in their creations. This year’s nominees have been announced for the prestigious recognition.
The finalists are:
- Papa Cherry — written by Saxton Moore and illustrated by Phillip Johnson
- The Snagglepuss Chronicles — written by Mark Russell and penciled by Mike Feehan
- Archival Quality — written by Ivy Noelle Weir and illustrated by Christina Stewart
- Victor Lavalle’s Destroyer — written by Victor LaValle and illustrated by Dietrich Smith
- The Carpet Merchant — by Reimena Yee
Martha Donato, President & Founder of MAD Event Management LLC, says:
I’m immensely proud of the way the larger community has accepted and embraced the mission of the Dwayne McDuffie Award. To be a small part of a movement for change and acceptance for all creators has been rewarding, to say the least. For the nominees and winners of the Award past and future, you exemplify all that he stood for and believed in.
The winner will be announced at the conclusion of 2019 C3: Comic Creator Conference on Friday, February 15, 2019, at 7:30 pm. The award ceremony is also held on the eve of the Long Beach Comic Expo, which will be held February 16 – 17. Comic and TV writer, Geoffrey Thorne will be the keynote speaker.